I made this rag quilt for my 6 year old niece, Bree.
I picked out the fabrics, but she gave final say before I started piecing the top. My MIL donated the queen sheet for the backing.It took me about two months, 90 percent of which I did with a middle broken finger, because it really didn't involve me grasping with my left hand.
I also made a matching throw pillow and sham.I did sew it with seams expose to give it a distressed look, and everytime she washes it, it will fray.I did not machine or hand "quilt" a design onto this.
The local Joann's didn't have a walking foot or quilt stencils, but they had buttons on clearance. So at the corner of every block, there is a different button.I finally finish it and bring it over to put on her bed, and it only fit the top!
When I asked her mother to measure her existing comforter, she just measured the bed instead! I did however go 4 inches wider than she had told me so it wasn't so bad, but still aggravating.So I asked Bree if it mattered to her, and it didn't. But I promised to make it wider later if she changed her mind. She just put it on top of her existing comforter and it does seem to go.